Facebook is winning the social media war. Their robust family of apps including Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger has left Twitter and Snapchat in the dust. Thousands of individuals and businesses grow their brands and revenues with Facebook Pages in which there are more than 60 million active business pages. Also, people use Facebook profiles and groups to meet their objectives.
On the planning side, Facebook offers FacebookIQ and Audience Insights. On the execution side, they provide two free analytics tools: Facebook Page Insights and Facebook Analytics.
Facebook Page Insights helps page owners and admins to understand how their pages are performing. The Facebook Page Insights tab focuses on three core areas: page likes, post reach, and engagement. Also, insights include data regarding followers, page views, and videos. For example, the likes section shows you:
- Page Likes: The total Page likes for each day, over a 28-day period
- Net Likes: The number of new likes minus the number of unlikes
- Where Your Page Likes Happened: The number of times your Page was liked, broken down by where it happened
Insights data can be exported up to 500 posts at a time to Comma-separated values (.csv) and Excel (.xls) formats. Users can create reports with these files.
Facebook Analytics (FA) is contained in Facebook Ads Manager (or Facebook Ads), the platform for creating ads. In simple terms, FA enables you to track whether you’re making money or losing money on your ad campaigns. FA is a behavioral analytics solution that lets you measure, understand, and optimize your product and customer experience. The tool provides rich audience insights that go beyond standard demographics and unifies analytics across devices and channels so that you can measure people’s interactions with your business across apps, websites, bots, Facebook Pages and more. Facebook Analytics captures revenue, demographics, segments, events, lifetime value, and more.
Facebook Page Insights and Facebook Analytics are excellent platforms to track and assess performance. However, many people and businesses use other marketing/analytics services for several reasons:
- To get more insights into page performance and return on investment (ROI)
- To generate one-click customized reports
- To produce reports in different formats such as in Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, and CSV
- To track and aggregate data for multiple Facebook pages on one dashboard
- To monitor various profiles/accounts on different social networks, for example, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- To understand optimal engagement times for their audiences
- To track other pages and competitors
- To evaluate team response and resolution times for Facebook posts, mentions, and messages
- To look at data and analytics differently, for example, visually
- To track the performance of hashtags and content tags
Facebook Marketing Tools
Before selecting a Facebook marketing tool or service, you should define your requirements and goals. Many platforms offer trial periods and demos. Choosing a service will come down to personal preference, experimentation, and pricing. Let’s review:
- Sprout Social
- Simply Measured
SocialPilot is a social media scheduling and marketing tool that connects all your platforms to a dashboard. They connect to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Google Plus. Their features include publishing, scheduling, automation, content curation, analytics, and team management.
- See key metrics like how many fans and followers you have, the number of posts you posted, and total engagement on your posts.
- Compare data with previous periods to see your progress and check historical data to get a perspective.
- Understand the daily/weekly/monthly growth of your Facebook audience by tracking new likes and unlikes.
- Understand if new fans are acquired organically or if the acquisition was a result of paid campaigns.
- Monitor fan likes or reactions, the number of comments the page attracted, and the number of shares for posts.
- Monitor when your fans are the most active.
- Get an hourly and daily breakdown of the number of fans that are online.
- Get user demographics including gender and location.
- Get a list of top commenters, top likers, and top sharers. Open their Facebook profiles directly from the analytics page and engage with them to acknowledge their contributions.
- Get a complete picture of which hashtags work the best for your content and your audience.
Starting price: free ($10/month to access premium features)
- Hootsuite (I use this service)
Hootsuite is an all-in-one social media management platform. Users can connect multiple profiles and view their activities on a dashboard. Hootsuite connects to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, and Pinterest. Their directory of more than 150 apps enables connectivity to other networks and additional capabilities to optimize social media activities. Their features include publishing, scheduling, automation, monitoring, listening, content curation, analytics, team and campaign management.
- Create and export custom reports that show your results.
- See a clear, concise snapshot of your Facebook activity to track trends and measure growth.
- Real-time analytics.
- Create customized analytics dashboards—or use their templates—to learn more about how your followers engage with your content.
- Share your success with your team (or clients) with one-click exports of your reports in Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, and CSV formats.
- Track how long it takes your team to respond and resolve posts, mentions, and comments assigned to them.
- Use the most extensive collection of social analytics integrations and apps available, like LiftMetrix, Klarity Analytics, and Crowd Analyzer, to get more profound insights.
Starting price: free ($19/month to access premium features)
Socialbakers’ social media marketing platform helps small and large brands ensure their investment in social media is delivering measurable business outcomes. They leverage the most extensive social media data-set in the industry. They connect to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube. Their features include publishing, scheduling, monitoring, listening, analytics, social customer relationship management (CRM), and team management.
- Understand your social media performance in context by measuring yourself against your rivals with the broadest set of industry benchmarks on ad spend, video, and organic content performance.
- Track Facebook Live videos for any Page.
- Understand the paid content strategy of your competition and your industry and compare the promotion strategies of any profiles.
- Know exactly which pieces of organic content to promote so you get more for your budget and decrease future ad costs.
- Get actionable recommendations for when to publish content, so you maximize organic reach and visibility.
- Monitor your performance and activities across Facebook with customizable dashboards.
- Deliver automated reports to keep your team in the know with easy, flexible reporting.
- Track the efficiency of your paid social activities and their impact on digital goals like website traffic and conversions with Google Analytics integration.
- See your social media performance in the context of your business intelligence data with a 3rd party API and business intelligence connector.
- Report across your community management activities including the number of messages, response time, and responders.
- Access free tools including Facebook Quadrant Report, Facebook Benchmarking, Facebook Post Analysis, Social Content Inspiration, and Social Customer Care Tools
Starting price: $20/month
Sendible is a powerful social media management tool allowing SMEs, corporate marketing teams, and marketing agencies to promote, analyze, and track their brands across all social media platforms, email, and SMS messaging. They connect to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. Their features include publishing, scheduling, automation, monitoring, listening, analytics, social customer relationship management (CRM), and team management.
- A reports bub that gives you nine ready-to-go social media reports for an instant snapshot of your social data.
- Gain insight into your combined audience, post engagements, posts, and mentions across all channels you manage to spot trends easily.
- Access to over 250 analytics modules.
- Automatically provide regular updates by sending reports to key stakeholders, team members, and clients on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
- Build presentation-ready reports tailored to each client with their drag-and-drop report builder.
- Track your team’s performance by measuring response times either hourly or daily to maximize responsiveness.
- Identify optimal post times, your most engaged social followers as well as your top performing posts to create even more engaging content.
- Quantify cross-channel impact with Google Analytics: track your social media and email campaigns for visits, page views, content popularity, and geographic location.
Starting price: $24/month
Agorapulse is an easy-to-use social media management tool that allows businesses and agencies to manage their social accounts effortlessly. Agorapulse connects to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google Plus. Their features include publishing, scheduling, monitoring, listening, analytics, social customer relationship management (CRM), and team management.
- Measure your success with unlimited reports that are downloadable in a single click.
- Reports that make it easy to see which metrics have gone up or down in any given period.
- Social media ROI report.
- Discover how your hashtags and content tags are faring.
- Customer service auditing: Manage and monitor response time to ensure no one is ever kept waiting.
- Measure the results of competitor campaigns to improve your strategy.
- Learn the best times to send your posts based on your content’s past performance.
- Get free tools including Facebook Page Barometer to get a quick snapshot of how well fans are interacting with your Facebook page. Also, use Facebook Page Contests to run unlimited sweepstakes, quizzes, or photo contests on your page’s timeline.
Starting price: $39/month
Sprout Social makes social media management, advocacy, and analytics software for businesses. Sprout helps brands communicate with customers on social channels, collaborate across teams and measure the effectiveness of their efforts. They connect to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google Plus. Their features include publishing, scheduling, automation, monitoring, listening, analytics, social customer relationship management (CRM), and team management.
- Break down your Page impressions in a way that’s easy to understand.
- Measure fan growth by content published.
- Identify your best content and understand how it is being shared throughout Facebook.
- Customize reports with your logo, which is an excellent tool for agencies managing multiple client accounts.
- Export presentation-ready PDF reports.
- Gain insight into industry averages and directly compare competitor’s data with dedicated competitive analysis reporting.
- Define campaigns and automatically append tracking data to the links you post from Sprout to identify social traffic in Google Analytics.
- Integrate critical social metrics into internal systems or reporting dashboards for extended analysis.
- Analyze operational analytics—such as platform usage, agent performance or task efficiency—to discover areas for improvement.
Starting price: $99/month
Quintly is a social media analytics tools to help you track, benchmark and optimize your social media performance. By using Quintly, you can benchmark your numbers against your competitors’ and derive an optimal social media strategy. They connect to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, and Google Plus.
- Connect all your pages and benefit from the highly optimized infrastructure of their tool to benchmark all your pages with each other.
- Compare and benchmark every existing Facebook page
- Obtain valuable competitor data to optimize your Facebook marketing activities
- Get Facebook KPIs presented as a table or radar chart.
- Get to know where your fans are coming from, analyze their changes and the corresponding distribution.
- Enrich your overall performance measurement with valuable data for your Facebook ad campaigns.
- Analyze any page and user post with various criteria such as day of the week, time and distribution.
- Obtain all details about engagement down to a single like, share, comment or reaction.
- Assess your social media customer care to improve your overall strategy.
- Get an overview of the total amount of check-ins on Facebook pages.
- Create simple, comprehensive automated reports.
Starting price: $129/month
Rival IQ delivers analytics and competitive insights to help digital marketers make informed decisions, improve results, and better understand competitors. Using benchmarks and comparative analysis, Rival IQ enables digital marketers to uncover new opportunities, identify trends, and track results across all the main social channels and the web. Their features include social analytics, competitive analysis, hashtag analytics, boosted post-detection, ad analytics, and alerts.
- See the best performing content, post types with most engagement, and ideal times to publish.
- Customize, schedule, and export reports that give you key metrics to drive engagement and justify your social media campaigns.
- Schedule as many SEO or social media PDFs, PPTs, PNGs, or CSV’s to be sent to your inbox as often as you need.
- Identify which ads to serve to which audience.
- See how your ads perform across demographics and receive alerts with specific recommendations.
- Gain insight into competitor strategy by spotting boosted content.
- Monitor how competitors are using page titles and meta descriptions to position themselves for search engines.
- See how quickly your competitors are gaining followers, how often they post, their average engagement rate, and their most successful posts.
- Track keyword rankings, Domain Authority, and external links to evaluate your SEO strategy’s success.
- Learn which hashtags perform in your landscape to engage and grow your audience.
- See the hashtags your competitors use and learn how well they’re working.
- Compare your spend/costs to others to get a complete picture of the market.
- Track your landscape’s pay-per-click (PPC) spend to identify who is spending on keywords.
Starting price: $169/month
Simply Measured provides social media analytics and measurements for data-driven agencies and brands. They connect to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Their features include publishing, scheduling, automation, monitoring, listening, analytics, social customer relationship management (CRM), and team management.
- Monitor and expand brand awareness with reach and impressions from your Facebook posts.
- Measure the success of your video strategy by tracking video views, retention, and the resulting engagement.
- Compare the performance of your organic and boosted Facebook posts side-by-side.
- Understand which Facebook posts drive traffic back to your site.
- Discover which posts are driving conversions and purchases on your site.
- Analyze your performance against your direct competitors.
- Identify whose audience is growing the most rapidly, so you can identify your actual competitors.
- Improve your posts and campaigns by identifying the content which works best for your competitors.
- Understand which content is being shared most, both publicly and privately, leading to increased engagement and conversions.
- Learn when to post or promote content by identifying which days and times foster the most engagement.
- Identify posts leading to negative feedback such as unlikes, hiding posts, or reporting spam.
Starting price: Request a demo/quote
Falcon.io provides a SaaS platform that allows marketing departments to create, launch, and measure social media campaigns in real time. They connect to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Plus, and Tumblr. Their features include publishing, scheduling, monitoring, listening, analytics, audience insights, and team management.
- Access 100+ post and channel level metrics for Facebook.
- Understand which content is working and how your audience is engaging with it.
- Understand organic, paid, and viral impressions as well as reach.
- Demographic metrics such as who and where your followers are based.
- See the best times to post.
- Post level and page level reactions.
- Video views on page and post level.
- Track your efforts and social ROI in easy-to-build, unlimited reports.
- Export reports as XLS, CSV, PDF, JPG or PNG.
- Display your data on external dashboards through the open API.
- Track team performance metrics.
Starting price: Request a demo/quote
- Buffer is “working on something special,” that is, an easy-to-use social media analytics product to help you track and analyze your social media marketing.
- Cyfe is an all-in-one dashboard app that helps users monitor and analyze social media data.
- Google Analytics highlights traffic and visitor statistics and helps with measuring goals.
- MeetEdgar doesn’t offer analytics, only publishing, scheduling, and automation features.
- Sumall might provide an excellent service, but their features page is inadequate.